Today's headline roundup includes coverage of yesterday's primaries, some sound sleep advice, survey results that show only a few Americans have totally lost their minds to fascist insanity, a look at America's still-enforced laws banning adultery and sex with an unmarried woman (seriously), racism alleged against a cop by a black doctor, the tragic death of a Mexican teen in a Border Patrol shooting, 5 myths about illegal immigration, a study which shows the economic benefits of immigration, and a plea to the Tea Party: oppose drug prohibition!
Cross posted from Young Americans for Liberty:
- Change comes to America in a wave of anti-incumbent, anti-union, and anti-Democrat mid-term primary results.
- Tech pwns: The private sector (specifically, technology) carried the day in California with two tech CEOs winning the GOP's nomination to run in CA's Governor and U.S. Senate races this Fall.
- Doh! Arnold Schwarzenegger forced to recast ballot after selecting two candidates.
- Oh good. It's nice to know that Americans aren't total fascists. 74% oppose taxing news websites like Drudge Report to give subsidies to traditional newspapers. 84% oppose taxing monthly cell phone bills for the same purpose. My question is, what miscreants actually supported the policies in this survey?
- Taliban: Woman charged with adultery IN NEW YORK! Meanwhile, Michigan has had 30 convictions from 2002 - 2008 of "seducing an ummarried woman." In both stories, these were tacked on to more serious crimes, but as Eugene Volokh correctly opines: "Seduction shouldn’t be criminal just so that prosecutors find it easier to reach plea bargains in rape cases. Otherwise, why not just make all sex — or for that matter all breathing — a crime?"
- Racism alleged: A black doctor in Pulaski was pulled over for going 46 mph in a 30 zone, and despite being an OBGYN on the way to deliver a baby, she was arrested by an officer with a past history of racially charged arrests.
- Outrage high as U.S. Border Patrol shoots and kills Mexican teen. Meanwhile, Feds conduct immigration raids on BP oil spill workers while the oil keeps spilling.
- 5 myths about illegal immigration
- Study shows that in the long term, immigrants are good for the U.S. economy
- The Tea Party should side with its more libertarian wing on the issue of drug prohibition in order to stay true to its principles of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited governments, and free markets.
W. E. Messamore, Editor in Chief
Articles | Author's Page