Here are more updates as this story develops:
Secret Service Sex Scandal Keeps Growing
Three more agents have stepped down in the wake of alleged activities involving prostitutes in Cartagena, Columbia last weekend. One more agent is now under investigation, and another has been cleared of serious misconduct. In all, 12 have now been in focus.
The U.S. military says 11 of its members are being investigated. That's up from the 10 previously believed to be involved. So far, they haven't been charged or placed in detention.
The latest departures, after several days of lie detector tests and interviews, follow the dismissal earlier in the week of two supervisors. David Chaney, who was allowed to retire, was a member of Sarah Palin's protective detail during the 2008 campaign. Greg Stokes was dismissed, but has the option to appeal. A third agent resigned.
Secret Service scandal spreads to second hotel
Suspicion is spreading in the Secret Service scandal beyond the agents in just one Colombian hotel.
CBS News correspondent Whit Johnson reports that a law enforcement official told CBS News that the latest agent under investigation brought a woman back to the Hilton Hotel in Cartagena, Columbia, just five days before the president would be staying there.
Until now, the Hotel Caribe had been the focus of the scandal, where the other 22 members of the Secret Service and military accused of inappropriate behavior were checked in.
"Now you're into the hotel where the president of the united states was going to stay, and it just gets more troubling," Sen. Joe Lieberman said on "Face the Nation."
Carney: No misconduct by White House advance team
The White House has determined its advance team was not engaged in "any inappropriate conduct" as part of the Colombia prostitution scandal, after launching an internal review out of "an abundance of caution."
Press Secretary Jay Carney announced the findings of the review Monday, as the Pentagon moved to suspend security clearances for the U.S. servicemembers who have been implicated in the scandal.
With the number of Secret Service agents and military personnel tied to the alleged misconduct growing, the White House had faced questions from lawmakers about whether any of its own staff were involved. Carney earlier had dismissed those suggestions, but said Monday that the White House counsel conducted a review as a matter of "due diligence."
"There's no indication that any member of the White House advance team engaged in any inappropriate conduct or behavior," Carney said.
Editor in Chief, THL
Articles | Author's Page